It’s that time again… time to prep your home for the cooler weather that’s on its way. Get these completed so that you can take a much- needed break by taking a nap on the couch or curling up with a good book. ☺
- Change décor & bedding. It will soon be chilly and that means the lighter sheets currently on your bed, need to be changed out with layers of warm comfort like maybe wool or fake fur. Also, with the change in season, comes Halloween, Thanksgiving & Christmas so now is the time to swap out summer pillows and décor for the cozy cooler weather décor and accessories, such as a cozy throw and thicker window curtain panels, etc.
- Check smoke detectors & carbon monoxide detectors. & replace batteries. Also, now is the best time to check the expiration date on your fire extinguisher too. Lastly, did you know that if your smoke detectors are yellow, it means they need to be replaced? It’s true, so do this life-saving maintenance this month for sure!
- Schedule furnace & chimney maintenance. As the seasons change, it’s important to have an HVAC pro come out and maintain your furnace. And since colder weather brings about fireplaces being used, it’s also the perfect time to have your chimney inspected and cleaned.
- Weatherstripping check. Now is the time to check all existing weatherstripping and replace if needed. And add any new to windows and doors that let too much air escape. Your budget will thank you. Your family will be warmer! ☺
- Inspect your roof & gutters. Roof leaks are the worst, especially during cold & inclement weather seasons, so now is the time to have a pro come out, clean out your gutters and inspect your roof (from on top of the roof) and make any necessary repairs now.
If you need any referrals to good contractors, send me a text or email or give me a call & I’d be happy to share with you my go-to list of the best in town! I look forward to hearing from you! ☺ Happy October!
After a busy, enjoyable summer, isn’t it nice to be back in routine with kids back to school, the sun setting earlier (making kids bedtime easier), etc? It sure is. And that doesn’t mean the fun times have to end– no way! Here’s a list of family fun things you can plan this month.
– Wreath for the front door
– Inside for fall
– The porch with pumpkins and other fall decor
– Pumpkin pie
– Pumpkin bread
– Homemade apple cider
3) Enjoy the Outdoors.
-Make raking the leaves a family event.
-Go to the local pumpkin patch & hop on a hayride.
-Grab the ingredients for smores. Prepare indoors, then go outside after dinner to roast & enjoy.
-Plan a walk in the woods to see what you can see & end this special time with hot chocolate when you get back home.
What fun Fall family things does YOUR family do? Do tell, I can’t wait to hear your ideas!
Hardwood floors are highly desirable for most homeowners, but they come with their share of challenges when it comes to cleaning, maintenance, and repairs. After a few months or years of heavy use from kids playing with toys and chairs being shuffled around, it may be time for some DIY fixes.
Hiding scratches: If you’ve got a good eye for matching colors, you can actually use crayons or markers or purchase wax sticks from the hardware store to fill-in scratches. Try to match the stain color on your floors, but don’t worry if it’s a little off. If the color is close, once the scratch is filled, it’ll look like a variation in the wood grain.
Polishing floors: You can make a polish solution for your floors from household ingredients. Mix olive oil and vinegar in equal parts, pour it directly into scratches, and then wipe it off after 24 hours. It may take several applications, but this homemade polish will fill and cover most scratches.
Clever decor: It’s not a long-term solution, but sometimes the most painless way to fix scratches in your floors is to cover them with a rug or furniture arrangement.
Spot sanding: For deeper scratches, you’ll need to spot sand with fine steel wool or sandpaper, use wood filler, and stain and seal the repaired area.
On August 1, I was contacted by the leader of the Charlotte Mom’s group telling me that I was their August SuperMom of the Month (SMOTM). My first thought was that I didn’t even realize such a thing existed.
My next thought was, WOW! Somehow someone peeked into my world and thought, hey, she’s doing it right.
Give me any award in the world but if someone tells me that I’m one of the best moms they know, that means everything! I’m an ambitious person, when it comes down to it, mom is the most important role of my life. It is extraordinarily flattering to be acknowledged this way.
Check out my interview on the Charlotte Super Mom’s website.